Thursday, February 4, 2010

SBS 2008 Task Errors

On my Small Business Server (SBS) 2008 server I use the Forefront Security for Exchange system. It uses a suite of licensed antivirus algorithms to scan incoming email. The idea is that using multiple engines increases the probability of finding a virus.

SBS 2008 has a nice monitoring report system built int. You can define what you want in the report and what time to run it. The server will then run the report and email the results to any designated email addresses. Recently my system has shown a few errors stating that some of the engines used by Forefront have been discontinued.

Microsoft retired some of the engines and introduced some new ones. So I disabled the retired ones and enabled the new engines. Then I enabled the updates for the new engines and disabled the updates for the retired engines. Then I started getting errors like the following.


So I started poking around in the Task Scheduler configuration and I saw something strange. The configuration for each of the Forefront updates was set to run as Windows 2003, 2000 instead of Server 2008.

 

I clicked on Properties for each task and changed it to the 2008 options like this.
 
So far the errors have gone away. I will let it run for another week or so and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment